The 6th Annual Cardboard*Con will be on March 7, 2015!!
Welcome to Cardboard*Con!
Cardboard*Con is the world's most affordable science fiction / fantasy convention, and the first dedicated to the art of cardboard costuming. Accidentally founded in 2010 by Captain Drew of the original cardboard troopers, Cardboard*Con has gone on to attract tens of devoted attendees and such guests as Cardboard Boxxa Fett(ucinni). Held annually in downtown Atlanta, Cardboard*Con is a family-friendly "traveling" convention which spans several convention hotels over the course of 5 hours, providing a significant positive economic and spiritual impact on the city as a whole. Cardboard*Con is more efficient than other science fiction conventions held in Atlanta, as it eschews the outdated and inefficient "volunteer system" in favor of the "you're in charge of yourself" system.
Cardboard*Con believes in you.
2015 Preliminary Schedule
We will announce a mid-2014 ProStaff & Volunteer Meeting this spring/summer to make 2015 even better! Be sure to check your mailbox and consider volunteering! (use the contact form)
- 7:00pm - 8:00pm - Meehan's Irish Pub at the Westin Peachtree Plaza
- 8:00pm - 8:30pm - PARADE to Marriott Marquis (route TBD)
- 8:30pm - 9:30pm - Pulse Bar at Marriott Marquis
- 9:30pm - Midnight - Trader Vic's (in the basement of the Atlanta Hilton)
- 10:00pm - Midnight - Panels and Photo-Ops at various bars & hotels
- 11:00pm - Midnight - The Winner's Circle : Exclusive After Party at TBA
- The body of the convention will party it out at Trader Vic's, but all are welcome to wander and look for panel discussions :)
PENDING..... We'll post more in 2014-Q2.
Attendees told us that our 2013 convention set the bar quite high and despite concerns about a pending garbage strike the traditional nighttime "Paper Parade†" up Peachtree Street was executed flawlessly by many who were new to our nerdy science fiction convention. In a shocking reversal of our 2013 policy, our Executive Board expressed a strong desire that we ignore our mission statement of "quality over quantity" and abandon our attempts to cap our attendance at 15 individuals. And we challenged other conventions in Atlanta (which shall go unnamed) to follow our practice of really packing the crowds in!! Despite our enormous attendance levels, Cardboard*Con was able to guarantee that you would NEVER wait 2 hours in line to see William Shatner and we challenged our colleagues in the sci-fi convention industry to follow our example.
- Our badj system was FIXED!!! Investment in industry-standards won us a nomination for the Kulpepper Registration Award for 2014!
- Badj prices were reduced by MORE than half every 3 months as we approach the 5th Anniversary!
- The parade was astonishingly popular and people from all over the world gathered to watch!!
- Elevator & Escalator rides were a crowd favorite and will be back next year!
- Cardboard*Con 2013 was held on Saturday, March 2, the anniversary of the Bank of England issuing the one and two pound bank notes.
- due to frigid weather and a malfunctioning badj system the 2013 con experienced a set-back in attendance
- the confluence of adverse conditions resulted in THE BEST CON OF EVER!!!!
- Boxzilla won 1st prize in the costume contest (see our list of winners!)
- HEATHER BROWN!!!
- We had a super fun dance party with the Beta Club this year!
- The Mother Nature Network came to party with us!
- Peter Ogilvie of Pop Tab Photos shot some awesome photos of the night!
- Cardboard*Con 2012 was held on Saturday, March 3, the birthday of American singer Tone Lōc.
- this was our biggest con yet - an enormous turnout!!
- the most fabulous costumes yet!! (see our list of winners!)
- Joe's Sticky Stuff provided prizes for our costume contest!
Please see the Membership page for details on admittance to Cardboard*Con 2013.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to events beyond our control J-45b cardboard supplies from Copehagen will once again be unavailable until AFTER this year's con, so the panel on European cardboard folding techniques may not happen. Please stay tuned.