The 5th Annual Cardboard*Con will be on March 1, 2014!!
Welcome to Cardboard*Con!
Cardboard*Con is the world's most affordable science fiction / fantasy convention, and the first dedicated to the art of cardboard costuming. Accidentally founded in 2010 by Captain Drew of the original cardboard troopers, Cardboard*Con has gone on to attract tens of devoted attendees and such guests as Cardboard Boxxa Fett(ucinni). Held annually in downtown Atlanta, Cardboard*Con is a family-friendly "traveling" convention which spans several convention hotels over the course of 5 hours, providing a significant positive economic and spiritual impact on the city as a whole. Cardboard*Con is more efficient than other science fiction conventions held in Atlanta, as it eschews the outdated and inefficient "volunteer system" in favor of the "you're in charge of yourself" system.
Cardboard*Con believes in you.
Per tradition, Cardboard*Con 5 will be operating under the theory of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!!
- 7:00pm - 8:00pm - Meehan's Irish Pub at the Westin Peachtree Plaza
- 8:00pm - 8:30pm - PARADE to Marriott Marquis (route TBD)
- 8:30pm - 9:30pm - Pulse Bar at Marriott Marquis
- 9:30pm - Midnight - Trader Vic's (in the basement of the Atlanta Hilton)
- 10:00pm - Midnight - Panels and Photo-Ops at various bars & hotels
- 11:00pm - Midnight - The Winner's Circle : Exclusive After Party at Nicolai's Roof
- The body of the convention will party it out at Trader Vic's, but all are welcome to wander and look for panel discussions :)
Cardboard*Con: Setting Best Practices in the Sci-Fi Convention Industry
Attendees unanimously agreed that our most recent convention was the most successful con ever, even if attendance did dip slightly due to the cold weather's effect on the cardboard acquisition market. The traditional nighttime "Paper Parade†" down Peachtree was executed flawlessly by many who were new to our nerdy science fiction convention. In a shocking reversal of our freshly minted 2013 policy, our Executive Board have expressed a strong desire that for the 5th Annual event (in 2014) we ignore our mission statement of "quality over quantity" and cease our attempts to cap our attendance at 15 individuals. And so from now on we challenge other conventions in Atlanta (which shall go unnamed) to follow our practice of really packing them in. Despite our enormous attendance levels Cardboard*Con can guarantee that you will NEVER wait 2 hours in line to see William Shatner and we challenge our colleagues in the sci-fi convention industry to follow our example.
- Our badj system will be FIXED in 2014 - we promise it will be okay this time!!
- Badj prices will be reduced by half every 3 months as we approach the 5th Anniversery date!!
- Same great schedule!
- Our Guest list is pending.
- The parade will be bigger and better than EVER!
- Elevator rides!
- Cardboard*Con 2013 was held on Saturday, March 2, the anniversary of the Bank of England issuing the one and two pound bank notes.
- due to frigid weather and a malfunctioning badj system the 2013 con experienced a set-back in attendance
- the confluence of adverse conditions resulted in THE BEST CON OF EVER!!!!
- Boxzilla won 1st prize in the costume contest (see our list of winners!)
- HEATHER BROWN!!!
- We had a super fun dance party with the Beta Club this year!
- The Mother Nature Network came to party with us!
- Peter Ogilvie of Pop Tab Photos shot some awesome photos of the night!
- Cardboard*Con 2012 was held on Saturday, March 3, the birthday of American singer Tone Lōc.
- this was our biggest con yet - an enormous turnout!!
- the most fabulous costumes yet!! (see our list of winners!)
- Joe's Sticky Stuff provided prizes for our costume contest!
Please see the Membership page for details on admittance to Cardboard*Con 2013.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to events beyond our control J-45b cardboard supplies from Copehagen will once again be unavailable until AFTER this year's con, so the panel on European cardboard folding techniques may not happen. Please stay tuned.